The people of the Black Forest got it right, cherries + chocolate = mind blowing cake. And what is far cuter, and more fun than cakes? Cupcakes.
These gorgeous little cupcakes are easy to make and bring together that most luxurious combination. This recipe is one of Nigella’s, and if you enjoyed it, you might like to visit her website, (http://www.nigella.com/search/results/?§ion=recipes) for more heavenly ideas!
Makes 12 cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
125 grams soft unsalted butter
100 grams dark chocolate (broken into pieces)
300 grams morello cherry jam
150 grams caster sugar
1 pinch of salt
2 large eggs (beaten)
150 grams self-raising flour
For the Icing
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 100 ml double cream
- 12 natural-coloured glace cherries
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4/350ºF.
- Put the butter in a heavy-bottomed pan on the heat to melt. When nearly completely melted, stir in the chocolate. Leave for a moment to begin softening, then take the pan off the heat and stir with a wooden spoon until the butter and chocolate are smooth and melted. Now add the cherry jam, sugar, salt and eggs. Stir with a wooden spoon and when all is pretty well amalgamated stir in the flour.
- Scrape and pour into the muffin papers in their tin and bake for 25 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes before turning out.
- When the cupcakes are cool, break the chocolate for the icing into little pieces and add them to the cream in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and then whisk – by hand or electrically – till thick and smooth. Ice the cupcakes, smoothing the tops with the back of a spoon, and stand a cherry in the centre of each.
If you have any Kirsch about the place, then add a splash to the batter and icing.